How to Use Hashtags on Instagram to Your Advantage

I’m so excited to share with you this amazing resource! Keep in mind there are cookies in this post which allow me to continue my blog journey and if you’d like to learn more click here. So I’m sure everyone knows about the hashtag and how it allows people to use keywords to find your images/content. From experience I’ve been able to get a few likes and comments by using some of my favorites- I’m sure this sounds familiar. Keep in mind that your Instagram must be public for hashtags to be able to work.

Zoe, creator of the Ultimate Instagram Hashtag Database, had been through the same getting between 10 to 20 likes per post and a couple of comments. Now imagine my face when I read the following:

“Whenever I post to Instagram now, I use the full 30 hashtags in the first comment of my post (it literally takes me 2 seconds) and I get an average of 150 likes per post with around 15 comments!”

That’s a 1275% increase in engagement! Now let’s throw some statistics around.

• Posts on Instagram with at least one hashtag? Average 12.6% more engagement (read here)
  • Interactions are at an all time high when using more than 11 hashtags (read here)
  • Zoe’s stats? Engagement increased by 1275% once she started using hashtags (read here)

“With the Ultimate Instagram Hashtag Database, all you have to worry about is choosing your niche and the rest is ‘Copy + Paste City’!”

Here’s an example of one of the categories in the database- now imagine what the
rest looks like!

You will receive handpicked hashtags that are highly rated and are filed under the right category in the database. There are at least 35 categories to choose from! Between weddings to branding and so on, everything is covered! You will also have access to a video walk-through of how to best utilize the database, including how to search between different niches and how to sort + filter columns. Also included, time-saving technique guide which explains hashtags, best ways to use them, as well as time saving hashtag techniques that help you find your top 30 hashtags within seconds of posting on Instagram.

If this isn’t enough to talk you into trying out the database for yourself you can read more on Zoe’s website here.

As for other tips & tricks on how to fully utilize one of my favorite social media platforms (aka Instagram), here are a few blog posts that I’ve found very helpful!

UPDATE 3/3/17: FREEBIE Hashtag List – Try it for yourself!

Very fortunate to be able to share this information with you! This is honestly a MUST HAVE when trying to increase your Instagram engagement- and Zoe has come out with a freebie list that you can try. There’s a bunch of useful hashtags in this version that allows you to get a taste of what the Ultimate Hashtag Database is like! Click here to test out this awesome freebie. Full version can be found hereEnjoy!

More questions about the database? Let me know by commenting below or emailing me at mynameis@emilynncaulfield.com.

45 Comments

• Reply Julie Harris February 17, 2017 at 2:32 PM

Thank you so much for including “How To Brand Your Instagram” in your round up of related posts. I hope your readers find it helpful in partnership with this post as I talk more about content development and less about hashtags. Thanks again Emily!

• Reply emilynncaulfield February 17, 2017 at 4:09 PM

Aw of course! I love your post and think my readers would also- I also really enjoy your blog design. Very tasteful! Thank you for stopping by!

• Reply Danielle February 20, 2017 at 12:00 PM

Thank you so much for sharing this! This is a great idea. Personally, I save my hashtags and then post in comments. 🙂

• Reply emilynncaulfield February 20, 2017 at 4:07 PM

That’s what I used to do- and still partially due. With the database I’m able to find the most searched hashtags and then save them in my notes, to copy and paste right after I post on Instagram. Love it so far!

• Reply NICHOLE Freeman February 20, 2017 at 12:28 PM

I have searched for something to help with choosing hashtags. This is an answer just for me. I am sharing this everywhere. I know others can benefit with using this. Great resource tools for others to use. I am excited to try this.

• Reply emilynncaulfield February 20, 2017 at 3:53 PM

I was too and then I found this database by Zoe! It’s super informative and easy to use- which is nice because I had more time to really work on my own stuff and not learning a new software. Thanks for the share I really appreciate it!!

• Reply Deimarys February 20, 2017 at 12:51 PM

This post is really helpful. Definitely need to save it and ready it more carefully, there are things here I didn’t even knew! Thanks

• Reply emilynncaulfield February 20, 2017 at 3:51 PM

I’m glad! Thank you for stopping by & if you have any questions about the database let me know I would love to help. 🙂

• Reply Jesse February 20, 2017 at 12:57 PM

Great list! I will surely incorporate these into my future instagram posts!

• Reply emilynncaulfield February 20, 2017 at 3:47 PM

Would love to see your post! Link me when you do! 🙂

• Reply Sheri February 20, 2017 at 4:36 PM

Wow, this is a wealth of information for every nice and I have not seen it before but it will be very helpful for many people.

• Reply emilynncaulfield February 21, 2017 at 10:05 AM

I agree! I hope everyone gets a chance to really learn about the database and use it to it’s full extent!

• Reply Shevy February 20, 2017 at 5:02 PM

Right now sadly my main likes/engagement comes when I use hashtags but sometimes I am so lazy to use it. But thankfully I have found a way to save them in my phone as a shortcut so I don’t have to retype over and over. I also try to post at the best times of the day which helps somewhat. Since this whole algorithm change social media has become a task! But I am making a better effort to utilize my 30 hashtags per post.

• Reply emilynncaulfield February 21, 2017 at 10:06 AM

I agree with the new algorithm! Though I always try to make it a point to use hashtags because they truly make all the difference. Posting at the right times helps too!

• Reply Devina February 20, 2017 at 8:50 PM

This is a super helpful blog post! Thank you x 1000000. Instagram drives me bananas sometimes!

• Reply emilynncaulfield February 21, 2017 at 10:07 AM

Love to help! Instagram can be tricky sometimes but with Zoe’s guide- it’s helped in so many ways. My engagement has really increased in numbers- I was almost surprised even with knowing her statistics.

• Reply Patricia @ Grab a Plate February 20, 2017 at 10:48 PM

Looks like a great resource! I know hashtags are so important! Thanks for sharing this tool!

• Reply emilynncaulfield February 21, 2017 at 10:10 AM

It really is and I’m already seeing an increase in my engagement on Instagram! You’re so welcome & let me know if you have any questions about the database!

• Reply Jasmine Watts February 22, 2017 at 12:36 AM

Informative post! I don’t know hashtags are so important! I need to start adding in my posts!

• Reply emilynncaulfield February 22, 2017 at 1:17 PM

Yes! Unfortunately you’re only allowed 30 but you should fully utilize that 30! Zoe really goes into depth about how to get the most out of hashtags on Instagram in her guide- if you have any questions feel free to ask!

• Reply Lanae Bond February 23, 2017 at 6:22 PM

I so needed this because I want to use the best hash tags for my posts!

• Reply emilynncaulfield February 24, 2017 at 10:51 AM

Glad I could introduce you to my new favorite resource for just that! 🙂

• Reply entirely erika February 23, 2017 at 6:24 PM

Great post! I have my hashtags in a google doc and comment as well!

• Reply emilynncaulfield February 24, 2017 at 10:51 AM

Thanks! It’s easier than rewriting them every time for sure!

• Reply Dylan February 23, 2017 at 6:57 PM

Thank you so much for sharing this!!

• Reply Ashton February 23, 2017 at 8:28 PM

I really needed this right now! It came at the perfect time while I am trying to develop my blog. Thank you so much for sharing! I will definitely be implementing this.

• Reply emilynncaulfield February 24, 2017 at 10:58 AM

Let me know if you have any questions about how to use it or how to get started! Wow that is perfect timing! Link me when it’s up and running please!! 🙂

• Reply Nicole February 23, 2017 at 11:51 PM

This is insanely helpful thanks!! 🙂

• Reply Traci February 24, 2017 at 10:29 PM

I have absolutely seen a huge increase in my Instagram post engagement with using hashtags. The database looks super useful, though I must admit I was hoping it would be a free resource haha! Probably a good investment for biz owners hopping to use Instagram to grow their following and gain conversions though. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

• Reply emilynncaulfield February 25, 2017 at 10:05 AM

Me too! And the database is super useful but a really good investment for anyone seeking more engagement on Instagram. I tested the hashtags on my most recent Instagram post and there really is a visible change – definitely worth the money! Thanks for stopping by 🙂

• Reply #MoodMonday - Mood: Refresh & Unwind Photography by Emily Lynn Caulfield March 6, 2017 at 12:08 PM

[…] Related Post: How to Use Hashtags on Instagram to Your Advantage  […]

• Reply Ivanna March 20, 2017 at 10:11 AM

This is a cool idea. I also use all 30 hashtags. I have tested using Instagram without hashtags and you hardly get any engagement. Great post thanks for the tips.

• Reply emilynncaulfield March 20, 2017 at 10:25 AM

Hashtags are a MUST have in the Instagram world. You should utilize as much as you can.. Thanks for stopping by!

• Reply Mehgan March 20, 2017 at 10:12 AM

I have been struggling to keep dedicated followers on Instagram. I may hit a number one day and the next it will drop. Love the idea of using more specific hashtags for my niche. Thank you!

• Reply emilynncaulfield March 20, 2017 at 10:26 AM

Niche hashtags are the best way to increase engagement on Instagram and find those people who can & will become dedicated followers. Keep up the good work! 🙂

• Reply Traci March 20, 2017 at 10:17 AM

Just revisited this post and I’m glad to see there is now a free sample version! Definitely looking into it! Thanks for sharing! 🙂

• Reply emilynncaulfield March 20, 2017 at 10:27 AM

Yes!! Zoe came up with a freebie to let everyone try & show what the Database is all about! She did such a good job with it, if you have any questions let me know! I’d be happy to help 🙂

• Reply becca March 20, 2017 at 10:51 AM

Thank you for sharing! I will definitely get some use out of this list as I’m still trying to figure out how to use hashtags properly.

• Reply emilynncaulfield March 20, 2017 at 11:17 AM

Good to hear! This will definitely get you on the right track! 🙂

• Reply Danielle March 20, 2017 at 12:28 PM

Fabulous! i have also noticed an increase in my instagram from hashtags. i try to change them up every once in awhile, too!

• Reply emilynncaulfield March 20, 2017 at 1:32 PM

Hashtags are an amazing thing.. Glad to see them working in your favor! 🙂

• Reply Safaniya Stevenson March 20, 2017 at 6:18 PM

Hashtags are soooo important. I love using them. I mean, it makes finding your picture so easy. I swear by it too.